The Hypatia Software Organization (HSO) community is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form.
This code of conduct applies to all Hypatia Software Organization sponsored spaces, including our Slack chat, blog, Github, and wiki, as well as any other spaces that Hypatia Software Organization hosts, both online and off. Anyone who violates this code of conduct may be sanctioned or expelled from these spaces at the discretion of the Hypatia Software Organization Anti-Abuse Team. The Anti-Abuse Team always has the final word.
Some Hypatia Software Organization-sponsored spaces may have additional rules in place, which will be made clearly available to participants. Participants are responsible for knowing and abiding by these rules.
Above all else, be welcoming, polite, and respectful to all individuals within and without.
Harassment includes but is not limited to:
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion.
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including but not limited to those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment.
- Deliberate misgendering or use of ‘dead’ or rejected names.
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behaviour in spaces where they’re not appropriate.
- Physical contact and simulated physical contact (eg, textual descriptions like “*hug*” or “*backrub*”) without consent or after a request to stop.
- Threats of violence toward anyone.
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm.
- Deliberate intimidation.
- Stalking or following.
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes.
- Sustained disruption of discussion.
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others.
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease.
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent except as necessary to protect other HSO members or other vulnerable people from intentional abuse.
- Publication of non-harassing private communication.
The Hypatia Software Organization community prioritizes marginalized people’s safety over privileged people’s comfort. The Hypatia Software Organization Anti-Abuse Team will not act on complaints regarding:
- ‘Reverse’ -isms, including ‘reverse racism,’ ‘reverse sexism,’ and ‘cisphobia’ (because these things don’t exist).
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone,” “go away,” or “I’m not discussing this with you.”.
- Refusal to explain or debate social justice concepts.
- Communications in a ‘tone’ you don’t find congenial.
- Criticisms of racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions.
If you are being harassed by a member of the Hypatia Software Organization community, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact the Hypatia Software Organization Anti-Abuse Team. If the person who is harassing you is on the team, they will recuse themselves from handling your incident. We will respond as promptly as we can.
This code of conduct applies to Hypatia Software Organization sponsored spaces, but if you are being harassed by a member of the HSO community outside our spaces, we still want to know about it. We will take all good-faith reports of harassment by Hypatia Software Organization community members, especially bloggers, seriously. This includes harassment outside our spaces and harassment that took place at any point in time. The abuse team reserves the right to exclude people from the HSO community based on their past behavior, including behavior outside HSO spaces and behavior towards people who are not in the HSO community.
In order to protect volunteers from abuse and burnout, we reserve the right to reject any report we believe to have been made in bad faith. The Hypatia Software Organization Anti-Abuse Team is not here to explain power differentials or other basic social justice concepts to you. Reports intended to silence legitimate criticism may be deleted without response.
We will respect confidentiality requests for the purpose of protecting victims of abuse. At our discretion, we may publicly name a person about whom we’ve received harassment complaints, or privately warn third parties about them, if we believe that doing so will increase the safety of HSO members or the general public. We will not name harassment victims without their affirmative consent.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the Hypatia Software Organization Anti-Abuse Team may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from all Hypatia Software Organization spaces and identification of the participant as a harasser to other HSO members or the general public.
This anti-harassment policy is based on the example policy from the Geek Feminism wiki, created by the Geek Feminism community under the Creative Commons Zero license.